Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Inductance (Le) for Altec 416-8b??

  1. #1
    Inactive Member longdrive55's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Has anyone measured the inductance of their Altec 416-8b's? I'd sure like to know the Le to help with my box/zobel design.

    Thanks,

    Erik

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    You'll have to measure yours for best accuracy, but according to my notes, the few 416 series I measured way back when were in the 1.2-1.3mh range.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Erik,
    I have a pair of un-mounted 416-8b's so I can measure Le easily. I took them outside (away from reflections) and used a "B&K Precision" Model 875B digital LCR bridge on the 2mH scale - which measures @1kHz. One was slightly over 1.5 mH (about 1.52 on average) and the 2nd one was slightly under 1.5 mH (about 1.48 on average).
    Hope this helps,
    Richard C.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member analogman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 15th, 2003
    Posts
    12
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Voice coil inductance is measured by blocking the cone, preventing it from moving using special jigs.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Analogman,
    I see where this would make a large measurement error when my measurement freq. (1kHz) is close to the driver resonant freq., as with a compression driver. I can't get any kind of reasonable reading on my four 902 drivers when I measure L at 1kHz. The cone is hardly moving at all when I measure a woofer at 1kHz - with the very small amount of current that my meter can produce. I will first turn them down tight against a flat surface, take a measurement, see what I get, and then try to block the cone in the relaxed - centered position.

    Richard C.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member longdrive55's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 16th, 2003
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    GM and Richard,

    Thanks very much for the information. Richard thanks for taking the time to do the measurments. I don't have the means to measure Le myself right now, but these figures will get me in the ballpark.

    Thanks Again,

    Erik

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.